2 ¾ cups cake flour
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon sea salt
¾ cup butter, softened
4 large egg whites, plus 1 whole large egg
1 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-2 drops Lime essential oil
Naturally Colored Cream Cheese Icing:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
16-ounce (2 packages) cream cheese, room temperature
5 cups powdered sugar
1 pod’s worth of vanilla beans, or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 drop Lime essential oil
¼ cup freeze-dried strawberries
¼ cup freeze-dried blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put cupcake liners into muffin tins.
- Mix dry ingredients on slow speed for 2 minutes until blended.
- Add the soft butter and mix in until evenly crumbly.
- Add egg whites one at a time, then add one whole egg, beating well after each addition to begin building the structure of the cake. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with each egg addition.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk with vanilla and Lime essential oil. Add to the batter ⅓ cup at a time. Beat 1 to 2 minutes after each addition until fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
For the Cream Cheese Icing:
- With an electric mixer, and using the paddle attachment, not the whisk, mix the butter and cream cheese together for about 3 minutes on medium speed until very smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
- Add vanilla bean pod or extract and mix. Slowly add powdered sugar. Keep adding until you get desired sweetness and thickness.
- Divide frosting into three bowls.
- In two separate plastic bags, add freeze-dried strawberries and blueberries. Using a rolling pin, roll on top of freeze-dried fruit until they are small crumbs.
- Add crushed freeze-dried strawberries and blueberries into separate bowls and stir to combine.
- In the third bowl of plain frosting, add 1 drop of Lime essential oil and stir to combine.
- Add each frosting into a separate pastry bag. If you don’t have pastry bags, you can put it into a plastic baggie and snip the corner of the bag.
- Using a pattern of red, white, and then blue, gently pipe a small layer of each frosting onto cupcakes. 9. Once done, you should have a beautiful and extremely tasty patriotic cupcake. For an extra flair, add an American flag toothpick on top.